Event Date: Saturday, August 11, 2018
SSM Health DePaul Hospital – May Center
12303 DePaul Drive
Bridgeton, MO 63044
Presented by the SSM Health Rehabilitation Network
The purpose of this course is to explore effective multidisciplinary discharge from the inpatient rehabilitation unit including how to utilize effective resources in the community to support the long term needs of the TBI survivor. Information will be presented to assist in planning for an effective community discharge. Participants will benefit from access to community resources and networking with other allied health professionals caring for these clients in the St. Louis community.
LEARNING OUTCOMES AND AGENDA
At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the psychological and behavioral barriers to discharge for brain injury survivors and their caregivers.
- Discuss the relationship between long term patient outcome and caregiver support.
- Discuss the importance of behavioral modification training to long term patient outcome and reduction of caregiver fatigue.
- Identify the role of the multidisciplinary team in discharge planning.
- Discuss the benefits of a team discharge plan to the long term patient out-come.
- Discuss the importance of home evaluations to the discharge plan.
- Discuss the difference in perspective each member of the treatment team brings to the home evaluation process.
- Identify methods of performing a home evaluation when the patient’s physical home is inaccessible to the treatment team.
- State the documentation needed and criteria that has to be met to support a claim of guardianship / conservatorship.
- Discuss how careful estate planning positively impacts the ability of a TBI survivor to be successful in a home environment long term.
- State the documentation needed and criteria that has to be met to support a disability claim.
- Discuss how assistive technologies in the home can mitigate barriers to home discharge.
- Discuss how assistive technologies can increase the ability of clients with TBI to return to work/school.
- Recall the role assistive technologies can have on long term success for clients who use them to promote independence.
- Discuss the process involved in returning to driving for a survivor of brain injury.
- Recall vehicle adaptations available for a client returning to driving.
- Discuss vehicle adaptations available to ease burden of care for caregivers.
- Understand brain injury recovery and return to community from the patients’ perspective.